Pages

Medicinal Plants in Alaska

What medicinal plants are in your part of Alaska? Here in western Alaska we don't have too many that I know of, but there are a few.

We have one plant that Yup'ik Eskimos swear by for everything: Chithlook. They use it for aches and pains, fevers, headaches, you name it! I've heard it has a very bitter taste. But some kids around here chew on it like it's candy. They make a tea out of it. It is a leafy weed. I believe it works both fresh and dried. I'm sure it has some sort of menthol property that eases sore throats, congestion, and fever.

Willow: Willow bark, when chewed on or made into a tea, has a chemical that acts just like aspirin and can alleviate headache pain literally in a matter of minutes.

Cloudberries: We call them salmonberries, but technically they are cloud berries. They have a huge amount of vitamin C and when eaten during a cold can help your immune system immensely.

Cottonwood Oil: Cottonwood tree's buds produce an oil in the spring that is very expensive and can literally heal arthritis pain as soon as it's rubbed on the skin where the muscles ache. I've heard it's like magic. I'm not sure how to go about making the oil, but I would like to try and keep some in stock.

Alder Leaves: Alder leaves, like willow, can help alleviate headaches. I think they are supposed to be dried first and made into a tea, but I've chewed on them raw and they work fairly well. Don't swallow them- just chew and then spit them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment