Pages

Yearning For Something Northern

I took my knit mittens and ever so slowly reached out
In one last haphazard attempt I tried to catch a snowflake
But it disappeared into a gust of the wind
And whisked through the willow branches with one subtle shake

I sighed a deep breath of chilled frosted air
And stepped onto the empty ice of the frozen Yukon water
My seal skin mukluks barely grip to the few texture ridges
Yet I feel connected to the ground like a mother to a daughter

Sometimes I wonder if my parka and mittens are where I belong
For a midwest girl, Eskimos seem so far from home
But somehow this tundra land speaks to my hopeless heart
And I know it's the one place in the world I want to roam

I feel the rythem of the salmon as the pass by every summer
I know the ways of the waterfowl every spring and every fall
In the winter, the cold warms me in a way not a quilt could
And I find evening contentment in the arctic wolf's call

So who's to say that a blond of blue eyes and city nature
does not belong in a world of snowflakes and freezing nights
I think that fate takes you where you need to go
And where I needed had northern lights

No comments:

Post a Comment